Marshall Lyles, LPC-S, LMFT-S, RPT-S, EMDRIA Approved Consultant
In this multi-day event occurring March 5-13, 2024, EMDR clinicians will get to enjoy five days of advanced EMDR workshops on the use of EMDR with expressive arts from an attachment theory perspective in a beautiful South African wilderness setting. With time built in for relaxation, adventure, and community building, participants will be treated to a wonderfully unique and soul-nurturing time away from daily life. Participants must sign up for the entire event. Spots are also being reserved for EMDR clinicians residing in Africa. Non-African participants’ costs are helping to offer this training at a greatly discounted rate to local clinicians. Please read all the important details below and I hope to see you there! Email Marshall with any questions at
Here’s what’s included in the price:
5 days of advanced EMDR content and 24 EMDRIA-approved education hours (with 2 days off between the two workshops)
All needed training materials
8 nights lodging at Nyosi Wildlife Reserve (some will stay in a large cabin and others will stay in 2-person glamping tents)
Transportation to and from the airport (if you arrive and depart during the provided time windows on March 5 and 13, 2024
Breakfasts (and snacks on training days)
A 1.5 hour wilderness drive on the Nyosi property
Optional wine tasting night on the Nyosi property
Here’s what you need to cover on your own:
Meals other than breakfasts
Any activities you do outside of those listed above
Any expenses for traveling off site (you are welcome to relax on property even on non-workshop days)
Gqeberha is the South African city formerly known as Port Elizabeth. Our event will occur at Nyosi Wildlife Reserve outside of the city. For details on the facility, go to
. The entire facility is rented for this training event so there are no additional accommodations for guests.
The cost of the event is $2400. At registration, $600 is due to hold your spot. After the deposit, six monthly payments of $300 will be collected at the beginning of each month from August 2023 to January 2024. After the deposit, you are committing to paying the rest of the balance. Due to the background expenses related to planning this event, no refunds are available. Participants can transfer their spot to another EMDR clinician, but that occurs at their own initiation. Unfortunately, participants who encounter flight delays can not be offered a refund or discounted registration.
If you are an EMDR clinician in Africa, contact Dr. Tanya Defferary (
) for all registration details and to secure a spot.
Title for First Workshop:
Providing EMDR through Sandtray Therapy
March 6-8, 2024
Marshall Lyles, LMFT-S, LPC-S, RPT-S, EMDRIA Approved Consultant
EMDR provides a solid platform for conceptualizing and treating trauma in an efficient and client-sensitive manner. Supported by empirical data and becoming a mainstay in the clinical community, clients of all ages can find relief by integrating memory networks impacted by trauma through the use of EMDR’S eight phased-approach. However, some clients benefit from the utilization of a metaphor-led process that allows the right brain time to become more involved in the therapeutic work. Regardless of age, sandtray therapy provides such an opportunity. This 3 day, 12 CE workshop (
EC Program Approval Number: #18012-20;
6 hours of this event are non-CE) will highlight the relevant neuroscience informing EMDR and sandtray therapy before walking through each of
EMDR’s eight phases with sandtray integration.
1. Identify the basic tenets of EMDR and how it is applied to sandtray therapy
2. Discuss the intersection of historically significant sandtray therapy clinical theories and EMDR’S AIP model
3. Discuss key concepts from relational neuroscience shared by both sandtray therapy and EMDR clinical work
4. Apply sandtray therapy techniques to EMDR history taking
5. Evaluate the timing of EMDR resourcing in sandtray therapy treatment planning
6. Process methods for executing different EMDR preparation and resourcing skills using sandtray therapy
7. Evaluate trauma reprocessing (EMDR phases 3-7) using sandtray therapy
8. Describe different BLS/DAS techniques conducive to sandtray therapy EMDR sessions
9. Evaluate the integration of EMDR and sandtray therapy through an extensive case study
10. Exhibit session skills by practicing and receiving coaching during mock EMDR sessions using sandtray therapy methods
11. Recognize the limitations for populations not suited for sandtray therapy and EMDR
12. Develop a sample treatment plan for a mock client using sandtray therapy/EMDR
Title for Second Workshop:
Sandtray, Poetry & EMDR Processing in the Treatment of Attachment Wounds with Adults
March 11-12, 2024
Marshall Lyles, LMFT-S, LPC-S, RPT-S, EMDRIA Approved Consultant
Sand-based creations and poetic practices have been healing agents across cultures and for generations. Both sand and poetry offer space within a therapeutic context where time can momentarily pause as different inner voices receive the attention they need to feel empowered. When empowered, different relationally-shaped parts share their perspectives on pain and the potential for repair. In this workshop, participants will enhance their work as clinicians by hearing about how the expressive arts of sandtray and poetry (with other arts also present) can be embraced by EMDR clinicians in the healing of attachment wounds. No sandtray or poetry experience is needed for this highly experiential workshop and participants should keep in mind that this work could create powerful emotional reactions. This two-day event includes 12 CEs (
EC Program Approval Number: #18012-21)
that includes facilitated personal work for the person-of-the-therapist and combines with the first workshop to offer a total of 24 EMDRIA education hours.
1. Identify the basic tenets of EMDR and how it is applied to adult work through sandtray therapy and poetry therapy
2. Identify 3 healing outcomes of EMDR-informed sandtray therapy with adults
3. Identify 3 healing outcomes of expressive writing through EMDR-informed poetry
4. Discuss key concepts from relational neuroscience shared by sandtray therapy, poetry therapy, and EMDR clinical work
5. Describe 3 methods for incorporating poetry and arts into EMDR history taking
6. Apply attachment-aware sandtray therapy techniques to EMDR adult history taking
7. Apply attachment-aware sandtray and poetry tools to EMDR adult resourcing, preparing for difficulties with positive affect tolerance
8. Identify organic opportunities for utilizing multimodal arts, sandtray and poetry in EMDR reprocessing
9. Describe at least 2 poetry-focused and attachment-sensitive EMDR interweaves for addressing blocked processing
10. Describe at least 2 attachment-sensitive sandtray therapy EMDR interweaves for addressing blocked processing in adult clients
11. Evaluate the integration of EMDR, arts, poetry and sandtray therapy through an extensive case study
12. Recognize the limitations for integrating sandtray therapy, poetry and EMDR
Indicates required field
Emergency Contact Name
Emergency Contact Phone Number
If you have a roomate preference, enter their name below.
I acknowledge that EMDR Basic Training is a prerequisite for attending this event and have completed EMDR training with an approved instructor.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand the financial obligations and cancellation policy related to this event.
I agree to receiving marketing and promotional materials
Click to Submit and Pay