Marshall Lyles, LPC-S, LMFT-S, RPT-S, EMDRIA Approved Consultant
Play Therapy Clinical Theories and EMDR: Making Room for Integration
Many play therapists leave EMDR basic training excited at now possessing these important, new skills, but quickly feel overwhelmed at the idea of discovering how to integrate the model for their play therapy cases. This 12-CE workshop will highlight the relevant neuroscience informing EMDR and play therapy before walking through each of EMDR’s eight phases with prominent play therapy clinical theory integration. It is recommended that participants be fully trained in EMDR, but partial training may be acceptable if the participant is to complete basic training in a timely manner. Since this is a virtual training, participants will need to have certain play supplies on hand and be on camera.
Dec. 11 and 12, 2020
Program Site Address:
This will take place virtually on Zoom and the link will be provided 24 hours ahead of the event.
1. Identify the basic tenets of EMDR and how it is applied to play therapy
2. Discuss the intersection of historically significant play therapy clinical theories and EMDR’S AIP model
3. Discuss key concepts from relational neuroscience shared by both play therapy and EMDR clinical work
4. Apply play therapy techniques to EMDR history taking
5. Evaluate the timing of EMDR resourcing in play therapy treatment planning
6. Process methods for executing different EMDR preparation and resourcing skills using play therapy
7. Evaluate trauma reprocessing (EMDR phases 3-7) using play therapy
8. Describe different BLS/DAS techniques conducive to play therapy EMDR sessions
9. Evaluate the integration of EMDR and play therapy through an extensive case study
10. Exhibit session skills by practicing and receiving coaching during mock EMDR sessions using play therapy methods
11. Recognize the limitations for populations not suited for play therapy and EMDR
12. Develop a sample treatment plan for a mock client using play therapy/EMDR
Timeline for covering content:
Day one (times in CST)
Welcome and review of EMDR tenets
Discuss relevant play therapy theories
Discuss areas of theoretical integration
Overview use of play therapy materials with EMDR protocols
Review relational neuroscience as it relates to EMDR
Discuss relational neuroscience and domains of integration in play therapy
Practice treatment planning an EMDR case while integrating play therapy concepts
Demonstrate integrations at different EMDR phases
Due to COVID-19 health concerns, this one-time online event has been approved by APT for 12 contact CEs
(sponsored by Marshall Lyles, APT Approved Provider 17-508).
12 EMDRIA-approved CEs are also available
(sponsored by Marshall Lyles,
EC Program Approval Number #18012-06
Cost and cancellation policy
$400 by early bird date of 11-10-20
$440 after early bird
Payment is due at registration.
Due to the small group nature of this workshop, cancellations cannot be refunded
. The training will take place through Zoom meetings and information for logging in will be sent within 24 hours of the first meeting.
Indicates required field
Name (as wanted on the certificate of completion)
Licenses and Certifications
Graduate School and Degree
Have you completed EMDR basic training?
I allow photos/videos of me to be taken at the event and used for marketing/training.
I understand the cancellation policy as stated above.
Please share any additional questions or concerns here:
I agree to receiving marketing and promotional materials
Click to Submit and Pay