Marshall Lyles, LPC-S, LMFT-S, RPT-S, EMDRIA Approved Consultant
Play Therapy Clinical Theories: Understanding the Role of Attachment Theory in Family Play Sessions
Friday and Saturday, April 3-4
Fairfield Baptist Church, 27240 Hwy 290, Cypress, TX, 77433.
Times (in Central time):
Clinical theory guides conceptualization of client work, informs treatment planning decisions, and keeps therapists aware of their roles. However, most clinicians come into contact with play therapy clinical theories early in their graduate training when they have the least understanding of client work and the most anxiety about the profession. This can lead to a possible pattern of avoiding further contact with contemplating the complexities of theoretical orientations. This training will intentionally review prominent play therapy clinical theories, providing opportunities for clinicians to have an embodied understanding of the similarities and differences of these models. The training will also integrate advanced concepts from attachment theory and relational neuroscience into the different clinical approaches for executing family play sessions. This will occur through lecture and case studies, but will heavily feature engagement in experiential activities.
1. Discuss the basic constructs of a play therapy theory
2. Engage in dialogue about four prominent play therapy clinical theories
3. Discuss the historical context of integrating the disciplines and clinical theories of play therapy and family therapy
4. Practice treatment planning family play therapy sessions while attending to theoretical and developmental considerations
5. Describe the integration of attachment theory with prominent play therapy clinical theories
6. Understand how to use parent consultations to enhance family-based play therapy sessions
7. Practice theory-driven, play-based techniques with families of various backgrounds and needs
8. Discuss case studies from the perspective of each presented play therapy clinical theory
education hours can be earned for attending this event.
Early Bird registration fee is
and it ends on January 31
after January 31
Registration is non-refundable, but may half of the fee may be transferred to a future training.
Marshall Lyles, MA, LPC-S, LMFT-S, RPT-S, EMDRIA Approved Consultant
This event is sponsored by Marshall Lyles, APT Approved Provider 17-508.
Indicates required field
Name (as wanted on the certificate of completion)
Licenses and Certifications
Graduate School and Degree
I allow photos/videos of me to be taken at the event and used for marketing/training.
I understand the cancellation policy as stated above.
Please share any additional questions or concerns here:
Click to Submit and Pay